October 22, 2013

Nicholas Sparks: Dear John

Recension: "Dear John" by Nicholas Sparks



Cover // sphere
Title: Dear John
Author: Sparks, Nicholas
Publication: 2006
Publisher: sphere; UK
Pages: 338

"When John meets Savannah, he realises he is ready to make some changes. Always the angry rebel at school, he has entlisted in the army, not knowing what else to do with his life. Now he's ready to turn over a new leaf for the woman who has captured his heart. What neither realises is that the events of 9/11 will change everything. John feels compelled to re-enlist and fulfil his duty to his country. But the lovers are young and the separation is long. Can they survive the distance?"


Abridgement: "What does it mean to truly love another? There was a time in my life when  I thought I knew the answer: It meant that I'd care for Savannah more deeply than I cared for myself and that we'd spend the rest of our lives together. It wouldn't have taken much. [...] I fell in love with her when we were together, then fell deeper in love with her in the years we were apart. Our story has three parts: A beginning, a middle, and an end And although this is the way all stories unfold, I still can't believe that ours didn't go on forever. I reflect on these things, and as always, our time together comes back to me. I find myself remembering how it began, for now these memories are all I have left." (p. 1; p.4-5)


"Achingly moving ... will have you weeping for the joy and tragedy of it all." Daily Mail



I really enjoyed reading this novel. It is told from John's perspective and you really feel with him. The relationship between him and Savannah is sweet and serious at the same time. It turns from a emotional summer romance to a steady relationship. However, John is in the army and that means separation. During his stay, the two lovers write letters to each other and make plans and hopes for a future together. The way Sparks has written his book makes it real and moving. It also shows how little moments or certain happenings can change everything and also influence a person.
A wonderful, romantic love story which animates you to think about life, trust and friendship and how everyone can make the world better, but also in the power of love and believes. 



♥ xoxo


sources: book cover: http://kuki.m2p.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/97807515392641.jpg